Monday 14 March 2011

Lanier Meaders- back to pots!




Why do i love Lanier Meaders so much?... i just do. I've been looking at more and more pottery and learning about so much stuff,  it's weird how you go off at such tangents. When i set out to make pottery it was these beautiful face jugs that really got me excited and i would have been happy to be able to make  simple forms and put faces on. Then somehow i got to Michael Cardew... Isaac Button... Matt and Doug.. and suddenly i was passionate about slipware and it's whole wonderful history! It makes for a confused potter. I've been fretting recently, as i often do, about doing it the right way, the way it's meant to be done. I don't have the years of clay education though and last night was looking at more face jugs and remembering my "just have a go" attitude. Get stuck in, enjoy the process, don't start fretting over the details. I've been sitting on 100 kg's (nothing to a regular potter, but a lot to me) of lovely clay for weeks now and over-thinking it all. I'm just going to give it a bit of passion and hope some of it holds together. I do need to sort a workspace out though. I've got a spare bedroom that i'm going to use... be fun to get a wheel in there!! I also have folk staying with us for a few more weekends though, so i have to hold off a bit longer! It's my Big 4-0 in May, so i have to have started before then!! Who knows where it'll end up, but i've so many ideas It'll be fun finding out. Back on the subject of Lanier, I've given Jakki strict instructions to make sure that when i go, my ashes end up in a Lanier Jug!... unless i manage to make something half decent for myself before then. For ever in a Lanier Jug... bliss! ( and no more fretting!)

5 comments:

  1. If your wheel skills are good enough yet to get a piece tall enough for a face jug, try coil building it. I used to do this with my kids classes and we got some really great jugs made that way. I started taking pottery classes after my big 40 and here I am 10 years later with my own studio nearly finished! You can do it if you plod along like I have done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracey.. and i do take inspiration from you! I know it can be done and i get to see it in action, which i can't imagine doing this without. God bless Mary Wondrausch too, she was a late starter. I have coiled a couple of face pots during my little part time course.. just didn't post them.. the college glazes let them down.. although i use one as a lamp base next to my mac and it's finding a place in my heart again! That's what i intend to start with, coils, but also some flat sided flask/bottles cut from slabs and a few hump moulded dishes. All to get me figuring out slip and my drawing though it. I'm looking out for wheels too though. Better check in on your hut now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Scott
    Check out some of Freeman's crazy face jugs, they're amazing

    http://www.wildmud.com/jugs.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work. Who are those handsome devils you modelled them after? I've never really tried pottery, but you're making me increasingly interested in giving it a go. It might just be that I want to squish the clay around...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Doug, They sure are crazy! and that's a crazy project, but i like his ambition. By the time i've made a 1000, i might just be figuring this whole pottery thing out!!

    Brandon, i wish they were my pots! Lanier Meaders made them in North Georgia 1917-1998. He made the most amazing jugs. Glad i sparked your interest, it's a very magical world. It's so elemental and increasingly valuable in this ever futuristic world of ours. Earth, wind, fire, water and with limitless potential. It can be whatever you want it to be. Have a go sometime, but be careful you might get the bug!

    ReplyDelete