Tuesday 2 August 2011

Hastings Stade Deckchair




This was my design for a competition, here in Hastings, to design a deckchair to be used in a public space next to the new Jerwood Art Gallery. The Jerwood will hopefully give the town another boost when it opens next year. I've just seen the list of winners and sadly my name isn't among them. They were supposed to be site specific, the area in question is down where the shore based fishing fleet still works and it has a rich past. I've worked my 'Wish List' theme on various local characters and events and amusements, past and present.
I've only seen 3 images of winning entries, but at least 2 of them are just generic seaside imagery. One just has ice creams and ice lollies over it and the other just a typographic treatment of the old "oh i do like to be beside the seaside' song. What's the point? it has no bearing on the space, the history. I'm hopeful the other winners are a bit more specific. Do i sound bitter?.... just frustrated. Sore loser?... No, but i'm a much better winner!!

8 comments:

  1. What do they know?! You should be a winner for sure. Looks like they'd go for something really clever and creative like this since it's going up next to a new gallery space. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were robbed!
    Make one up anyway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys.

    Ron, they know nothing!... and looking forward to seeing the salt glaze results

    Andy, where was yours?? I am going to expand it slightly and add a few extras to make my own Wish List for Hastings print (I'm working on my shop right now... just need something to go on it!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't bear the humiliation of being beaten by a four year old or whatever. You're braver than me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typical! What a wasted opportunity! Yours look brilliant - you should have one made! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. the 3 they have shown so far are pretty much utter crap. i can't believe they were even considered...so unimaginative. i know an odd amount need to be done by kids etc...but really bad drawings by an adult of ice creams and ice lollies vs what you submitted? i might go postal baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll have to just let the seagulls do their best!

    ReplyDelete