Thursday 23 May 2013

Idle and Free




I'm really enjoying these Tom Hodgkinson books right now, thanks to Saul recommending them on his blog. They're right up my street, right where I'm at in my head these days. I'm dissatisfied with the status quo (their 85th album was really shit!!). No, not that Quo. My lot's pretty good, I'm not a total wage slave, i work pretty flexibly. I spend a lot of time with my boys and i make plenty of stuff and live a creative life. I'm not a blind consumer. A lot to be thankful for then... but it's not enough... but I am thinking about it and continually assessing. We shall see. For now I'm just going to recommend these books. Within these pages are a lot of the solutions to undoing the mess that is the modern World (well, we know most of it is due to the Banks and pitifully useless Governments!... but we can bypass a lot of that, remove them from our own personal worlds). I get a sense that a lot of people are starting to re-balance, to correct a lot of what has gone wrong, certainly over the last century. We don't need as much, we especially don't need as much of all the cheap disposable, not-really-needed-in-the-first-place crap! They can't sell enough of one of the pieces of crap, that they have to make 8 variations of that crap and then try to convince us that we really need it all. Oh, fuck it.. i can't be bothered to go on about it... and them. I'm off to read a really good book and give the kids some hugs... i need it, just like i need these books. Thanks Saul. Thanks Tom.
Does anyone even read this? the stats tell me so, but i'm starting to doubt it ; )



6 comments:

  1. You're one of my check in places I visit to find out what is going on across the Atlantic. I hate it when people stop blogging.

    Perhaps you could encourage readers to leave a pebble (o) when they visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely reading, this looks like a good Fathers Day book! You sound like us, but I think you are right, I am sensing more and more dissatisfaction and a feeling that folks just aren't falling for the bullshit anymore, hope it becomes a revolution!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come the Revolution!!!! Thanks for the notes you two. I don't think I'd stop even if there was no one reading, it lets me organise my mind and remind me of the things i like and care about. I do wish i was a little more pro-active and go-getting though... it would be nice to act on some of my beliefs!! The move Stateside is becoming more of a serious thought as we get more rain and epic hailstorms. I don't think we could handle your epic weather though! we need to make some smart decisions and start to change things up a bit. Take more of the daily stuff back into our own control. I'm no prepper, but i'd like to make more stuff make more sense. Thanks for your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, I love these books too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All right, all right, a comment then :] I read, keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Vicki, nice to know you are out there.

    ReplyDelete